Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Tomorrow's the Big Day!

I can't believe its been a year since my last surgery and finally onto the second part. Before I know it my braces will be off and I'll have that perfect smile and bite that I've been wanting for a very long time.
I saw my surgeon yesterday for my pre-surgical discussion. It went a lot better than I thought it would. I was nervous of what she would tell me about how long I will have bands on to keep my mouth shut. I only thought this because of other blogs I've read that people had bands on for almost 2 weeks and they were strictly on a liquid diet and have to use a syringe to eat. Lucky for me I will not have to have that and I'm beyond ecstatic. According to my surgeon I will only have a rubber band on each side of my mouth attaching the top and bottom. She said they would only be a guide for my jaw as my muscles will be weak. I will be able to remove the rubber bands to eat and brush my teeth. What a relief!!! The rubber bands will be used for at least 4 weeks; not so bad. However, anything that would require me to chew and grind my teeth (ex: a steak) would not be allowed to eat for about 8 weeks. =(

My mom went food shopping for me yesterday and got a bunch of stuff for me. As you can see plenty of soft foods. I probably won't be able to eat the ramen noodles at first but my mom thought the broth would be good. Also not in this picture is apricot and apple & prune baby food. Got to keep that digestive going normal when on a liquid diet. I was thinking of getting some protein powder as well and basically you can sprinkle it on everything and anything just to get that daily dose of protein to keep energy up. The only reason I have pediasure compared to Ensure is because my older sister used to drink the Ensure at least once a day. After a few weeks she started getting gallstones. As there is already of history of gallbladder issues in my family she ended up tracing it back to the ensure. I'm pretty sure it was because of the oil that was in it. So I suggest if you ever had gallstones or a family history of gallstones I would stay away from Ensure. (Of course, if you have you drank it plenty before with no issues I wouldn't change it)













My doctor also gave me this awesome book:
It has some great ideas as to what I can eat. Super soft meals for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert. I cannot wait to try some of the food in here. It all looks so delicious. =)








NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
First Week
- LIQUID DIET
     - very thin liquids
     - NO raw eggs
     - NO chocolate chips =(
     - NO eskimo pie

YES: chocolate syrup ( I bought carnation instant breakfasts; my favorite)
         Nestle Quick - strawberry or Chocolate
         Libby's light fruit in a can

Second Week
- You may eat anything liquid in a blender

Some suggestions:
Breakfast:
Cinnamon Treat
1/2 can Enrich Vanilla
2 scoops vanilla icecream
1 envelope instant breakfast (vanilla)
2 oz H & H
1 whole banana
4 oz Milk
Blend these items in blender until the consistency is thin enough to drink
Add Cinnamon for flavor

Lunch:
basically any soup you can find. At this moment I have potato and leek soup ( the best), (need to puree) paneras broccoli and cheddar soup and panera potato soup (can be found at BJ's of Costco's)

Dinner:
mashed potatoes is a great meal and I find it to be a very filling.
Pasta Meals:
use 1 jar of Ragu pasta meals
Add a little extra sauce, water, spices
shredded cheese
Cook as directed on jar
Blend in blender, strain and serve
(the cheese will make this thick so if you need it thinner just add water)

Dessert:
Milkshakes! Milkshakes! Milkshakes! (the possibility is endless with this one)


I was also given a small care package for when I go to the hospital and when I come home.
- a tongue cleaner
- mouth wash (I did get a prescription for a different mouthwash that I would be using for at least 2 weeks after the procedure)
- toothpaste
-chapstick (I will also buy more aquafore. I swear by that lip moisturizer)
- a toothbrush small enough for me not to open my mouth to wide and,
- a small brush that will help remove food around the gum and brackets.


I hope this information helped. I'm glad my doctor gave me practically everything I would need just because I'm totally unorganized and wasn't prepared and what I should make.
As for today I just did some final prepping. Did a bunch of laundry because I definitely would not be doing it for a good week and cleaned my blankets so I have fresh bedding when I come home.
And today at work were going out to dinner to J&R's for my birthday. As my 25th birthday is April 12th and I would not be able to enjoy a juicy delicious burger. Aren't my co-workers just the sweetest. So I'm ending my week with them with a very lovely day =)

Next time you hear from me it would probably be a few days after the surgery!!!!
Toodles =)

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Laura! Hope everything goes well tomorrow & the weeks following :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why in the heck were you eating all that sugary crap after surgery? Sugar is the worst thing to eat when one needs to heal, especially after surgery. Low-carb, high protein/fat/veg diet pureed in a blender would've been the best thing. So sad that 'health care professionals' push this garbage.

    ReplyDelete