Friday, March 29, 2013

1 Day after Surgery

I have to say I'm quite amazed I can even get on here just 24 hours after my surgery. That should tell you that i'm feeling pretty good, right!? well, for the most part I am but a few muscle spasms here and there that are just painfully awful =(

But lets start from the beginning. Originally my surgery was for 1030am and I had to be at the hospital by 830. But then I received a call the day before and they told me my surgery was now at 830am and I had to be there at 630. That meant that I had to be up by 5am because the hospital I went to was about 45 min away and we'd be driving through morning rush hour. Earlier that night I had awful sleep. I don't think I was nervous, I just wasn't tired. Anyways, we make it to the hospital with good timing, quickly found were I had to go and they called me in immediately.  It was me and one other patient in ambulatory at 630am and not until 8ish did the place start filling up. It was rather cold inside and they wanted me to put on a robe so early. All I could think about was how cold I'd be, but then I saw i had nothing to worry about. I was given an insulated robe that a hose was hooked up to and I warm air was being pumped on my legs and went through the entire gown. It was the greatest feeling ever and actually relaxed me a bit.

I was able to get some reading done as I needed to get somewhat through book 3 of Game of Thrones because the new season starts Sunday. But for the most part me, my mom and dad just sat around until I met all the doctors and the anesthesiologist.
For anyone that does not know I had both my surgeries at LIJ in New Hyde Park, Long Island, NY. If anyone is on the island and close by to this hospital I highly recommend it. The doctors and staff go out of their way to make you comfortable and are the nicest people I ever met. You can tell they all care of about their patients very much.

But now onto the surgery itself. I really was all good and not feeling nervous until I started walking to the operating room and once I walked through the doors I felt lightheaded and my heart was racing. I wasn't this nervous last time. They told me once I lay down they would put a strap across my waist and on my legs to prevent me from moving. Not my favorite as I freak out when I become restricted in any way. Next they gave me a needle for the anesthesia and almost immediately I started feeling it. I also got some oxygen to breath and I felt like I was going to swat it away because I started bugging out alittle as I was still terrified. That is when my surgeon came in and I told her I was really scared.  She said their was nothing to worry about as I did this before and then she told me I could hold her hand till I was asleep.  I thought that was really sweet of her and I hope I didn't hurt her hand because I do remember squeezing it.
3 hours later....
I wake up in recovery and was quite active right away. Unlike last time I felt no nauseiating affect from the anesthesia. Plus I didn't get blood in my stomach like during the first surgery as the bottom jaw does not bleed as much. The nurse was right over to check on me, gave me a nice cold cup of water which hurt like a bitch to my throat. Next thing I noticed was that I really really had to pee. So the nurse bought me a bed pan, oh yes, previous to the surgery I was given desposable underwear and when I woke up they were gone. I was afraid I was violated or something because it did hurt to pee. I asked the nurse why would I be feeling pain. She told me they put a catheter in during the surgery as I was being given a lot of fluid and needless to say I may have voided myself and it was needed. Not happy about that bc I seriously felt like I was passing a stone and the pain stayed with me till the next day =(
But on the happier news. I really was pretty active.
As you can see I am awake taking this picture. This was taken maybe 3 hours after the surgery though as I was not allowed to have a phone in recovery.
At one point I remember asking for my parents and when I looked to my right it was my twin sister walking in. I smiled as best as I could as I was really surprised and happy to see her. However, I felt bad because my eyes were getting very heavy again and I started dozing off on her.
AND, of course the greatest news of all. Because I was feeling really good and looking good I was allowed to go home same day. I can not tell you how happy that makes me feel as I now just saved 1k bucks from a copay that I did not want to pay. =)

It is now Friday and I can't really explain how I feel just yet. My neck is pretty stiff and have recently taken a Vicodin because the right side of my jaw hurts when it spasms. I have gotten bruising on both my cheeks and the swelling is limited to just the cheeks and mouth and a little below the eyes. In about an hour or two I'm allowed to take the sling off but I'm thinking of leaving it on a bit longer as I can keep the ice against it and the pressure it preventing the swelling more. However, I just can't wait to be able to brush my hair. Its totally messy.
Well anyways, I'm gonna catch up on my shows now and stop writing because I think I'm beginning to feel the affect of the Vicodin and for all I know is my typing is just a bunch of letters. I'll keep everyone up to date about how I feel on the weekend and hopefully by next week I'll be mostly on my feet again.






4 comments:

  1. congrats on your surgery Laura! Happy to hear you are feeling pretty good. I hope your recovery is quick :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrates you made it!!! Hope you are up on your feet quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I'm realizing this is going to be a slightly long road but I'm working really hard to keep that morale up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! Hope your recovery goes well for you Laura. That's one big milestone over & it's all downhill from here. Get well soon

    ReplyDelete