Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Patience is a Virtue...

It's almost been 2 weeks since I've had my SARPE surgery and everything is healing amazingly. The swelling is practically all gone except for some slight puffiness above my lip but its not noticeable at all. The corner of my right lip is also still partially numb so I hope that comes back soon. As for my gums I cannot feel them yet, and its not expected to have full feeling back in my gums till at least a month. Key turning as gone so smoothly and its been remarkably painless. Just a little bit of tightness at first, but it goes away quickly. I only turned my key twice a day for a week and since friday I have been turning it four times a day. As long as you space out the two key turns and not do it back to back its pretty painless and can easily adjust too.
I made the mistake of trying to eat a slice of pizza the other day. I thought that if it didn't hurt to eat then I'd be okay to eat it. Boy, was I wrong. I seemed to bite into a slight crunchy piece and I felt movement in my upper left jaw and freaked the heck out. So I called my doctor and her response was "Hunny, your jaw is broken. You cannot eat pizza"  I then went straight to the doctors office to check it out. I wasn't in any pain but I was then afraid to turn my key until I was checked out. She said everything was fine and then I got some even better news.  I was suppose to be turning my key till Friday 4/6 but she said movement has gone so well that I can stop turning tonight 4/3.  So then that means my jaw has moved 7mm. I'm beyond thrilled about that because I really did not want this gap to get any bigger. I already feel self conscious about it. I have an appointment with my orthodontist on Thursday just get a second opinion and then have it locked in place. My hopes are now that the key turning is done, the faster my bones will heal and grow and then the faster I get braces on to close this gap. I cannot wait to see the beautiful rounded out shape of my upper jaw.
As for appearance, I don't see much of a change. Which is good because I don't want exterior to change just my terrible teeth.
But now it's just time to wait. Wait for the healing, wait for the braces and wait for a Beautiful smile. I'm trying not to think about it at all because then time will go slower.

I finally have two pictures. They are not very flattering but it's just so anyone getting this surgery will see that it's not bad at all.  This is 2 hours after the surgery. You can see a slight gap between my two front teeth but thats about it. I looked pretty normal right afterwards. It was not till two days later that I really blew up.






This is 12 days after surgery. My gap has grown a lot and looks slightly crooked but I think that's just the angle of the camera. I still have half a millimeter to move tonight and then I should be good. =)

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, It's good to hear that everything went well for you. I guess it might be a little early but did you notice a change in your nose or bite?
    It's crazy that the jaw is so mobile after this type of surgery and it would freak me out to. I think you will be very happy once your gap closes and your teeth line up nicely in a wide smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      I have seen a very slight difference in my nose but nothing drastic. My sister says she can see some difference especially around my nose. Even though I have that big gap she says she can see my jaw already rounded out before the teeth are being straightened. Which is nice to hear.
      I also have felt a change in my bite. It's much different then before. On my left side there's still a gap between top and bottom teeth but on my right side some teeth touch. However if i move my bottom jaw forward and put in place where it will be after my next surgery my teeth line up amazingly. :)

      Delete